Your backyard is chock-full of insects! From worms, to lady bugs, butterflies, as well as biting insects like chiggers and mosquitoes, it is a wild world out there. Here are some quick tips to enjoy backyard adventures in conjunction with the insects without getting bit.
- Do not leave clothing, hats, gloves, footwear, or toys outdoors overnight. Insects can easily hide or with morning dew or a rain shower, pools of water will attract insects.
- Apply insect repellent (follow application instructions) – like Ben’s® 30 Tick & Insect Repellent Eco-Spray® (6 oz) or Natrapel, a DEET-free insect repellent that provides 12 hours of protection from biting insects, thanks to its CDC-recommended 20% Picaridin formula.
- Do not reach your extremities into places you cannot see, like holes, crevices. You never know what may be lurking!
- If exploring and turning over logs and rocks to discover bugs. Educate children not to handle the insects without parent supervision and knowing what the insect species are (especially spiders).
- Apply a soothing bug bite treatment like After Bite (www.AfterBite.com) if you do get bit, or try The Itch Eraser (www.TheItchEraser.com) for additional rashes and itches that may arise from outdoor irritants.